just b/c i got so sick and tired of correcting you literally every single time that i gave up out of sheer exhaustion does not mean that suddenly it’s ok to misgender me and not give a fuck about catching yourself literally every single time
Posts tagged trans*.
reason 2357253 why i never go bush
[The] cissexualization of transgenderism has taken a devastating toll on the ability of transsexuals to articulate our own perspectives and visions for gender activism. Rather than being listened to and appreciated on our own terms, we are instead forced to adhere to lesbian/gay rhetoric and values in order to have a voice within our own community. One can see this in the way that lesbian/gay-specific definitions of ‘passing’ (as a synonym for ‘hiding’) are inappropriately applied to our decisions to physically transition and live in our identified sex, or in the way that our descriptions of subconscious sex, gender dissonance, and physical transitioning are patronizingly dismissed by cissexual queers who favor social constructionist views of gender. It is evident in the way that queer theorists, ignorant of their own cisseuxal privilege, nonconsensually ungender us (or blur the distinctions between us and other queers) in order to articificialize gender; claim that ‘all gender is drag’ without recognizing how dismissive that is to the transsexual experience; and ignorantly apply the ‘gay rights’ tactic of calling for the all-out demedicalization of transgenderism without considering the effects this would have on transsexuals’ ability to access and afford hormones and sex reassignment procedures. Finally, as Viviane Namaste has pointed out in her books, the ‘cissexualization’ of the transgender movement ensures that discourses about transsexuals inevitably revolve around the cissexual queer obsession over ‘identity’ (who counts as a woman or man, who is legitimately queer), rather than examining the very real institutional obstacles and biases we face for being transsexual.
- an awesome post on appropriating genderqueer/nonbinary
- you’ll notice fucking nowhere in that post does it say “present in whole or in part in ways that have been socially constructed as in line w/ one’s assigned gender”
- yeah, self-determination rly is where it begins and fucking ends.
- i’m not going to do anyone the courtesy of disclaiming that maybe, somewhere out there, someone’s probably lying about being GQ/NB for brownie points. i’m not going to give more fuel to the fucked up narratives that made me and ppl that i love so much that at their behest i would eat eyeballs and battle a whole swarm of angler fish spider hybrids feel like we weren’t valid in our identities, that we were just try-hard special snowflakes, clearly, b/c there’s no POSSIBLE way one can be CAFAB and feminine and anything but female and no POSSIBLE way that one can be CAMAB and masculine and anything but male. (OH, and gender fluidity doesn’t exist at all so it’s not like your gender can EVER change, either. [/sarcasm.]) i bought that shit all my life, felt wrong in my skin, fucking hollow, i overcompensated desperately, dated ppl who used, abused, coerced and shamed me just to try to be the girl i thought i had to be b/c even when i knew what non-binary was, clearly i wasn’t non-binary enough seeing as i shop in the ~womens~ section.
- my wearing dresses, makeup and/or heels is a radical act of genderfuck. these are the signifiers that were shoved down my throat as symptomatic of my assigned gender, were gendered as inherently and unarguably female and i have reclaimed them, and i strip them of their perceived gender every time i put them on my non-binary body. i wear what i damn well please, utterly free of gender, w/o ever feeling like i need to compensate for the shape or perception of my body.
- you mad that i genderfuck harder than you could ever even dream?
- fuck off w/ your ~critiques~ of the legitimacy of GQ/NB identity, cis ppl. you literally do not know shit about being GQ/NB. like, srsly. why is it hard to shut your mouths about shit that has nothing to do w/ you? i don’t know a damn thing about being an astronaut and you don’t see me stomping up into nasa and telling them how to do their fucking job.
- so get the flip out of my space station.
a note specifically to folks questioning their gender identity, who feel like they aren’t enough or don’t qualify: you are, you do. the ONLY ppl who are wrong are those that are 100% comfortable in their socially assigned gender 100% of the time.
your memories of ever having felt comfortable in your assigned gender do not invalidate you, feeling comfortable in your assigned gender part of the time nowdoes not invalidate you. if you are bi- or polygender and one of those genders is your assigned gender, it does not invalidate you. you can wear whatever you fucking want, present in any way you want, and it does not make you any less whatever you feel that your gender identity is. b/c your gender is yours. yours to define and present and play with in any way that you want. no one gets to decide it for you.
and if you need someone to talk to, i will be there for you. send me a message any time. i don’t have anon enabled but i won’t publish anything that is marked as private.
I just need this here again.